phone 02032 875 990Mon-Thu 9 AM - 5 PM, Fri 9 AM - 3 PM

UK Tax Relief Guide for Healthcare Professionals: Claiming Refunds on Work-Related Expenses

Dreading tax season? Simplify your tax filing with our guide on how UK healthcare professionals can effortlessly claim tax relief on work expenses. Save time and money with these essential tips! Thanks to the wonders of modern technology, what used to be a laborious task can now be completed in a matter of minutes through the HM Revenue and Customs website.


What You'll Learn:

  • Eligibility for Tax Relief: Discover if you can claim tax relief for your work-related expenses.

  • Types of Allowable Claims: Learn what you can and cannot claim, from uniforms to travel expenses.

  • Step-by-Step Claiming Process: Detailed guide on how to claim your tax relief using online, postal, and telephone methods.

  • Common Pitfalls to Avoid: Key mistakes that could prevent you from maximising your tax relief.

  • FAQs: Quick answers to common questions about tax relief for healthcare professionals.


Understanding Tax Relief Eligibility

Are you eligible for tax relief on your work expenses?

  • Many healthcare professionals pay out-of-pocket for work-related items that are not reimbursed by their employer.

  • You may be eligible to claim tax relief for expenses dating back up to four years.

  • Commonly overlooked tax breaks can be claimed; check if you're eligible here.


Tax Relief on Healthcare Uniforms

Claiming relief on uniforms – What you need to know:

  • The HMRC provides tax relief for healthcare professionals required to purchase, launder, or repair specific work attire.

  • Eligible Items: Uniforms identifiable with your profession, like scrubs.

  • Claim Amounts: Up to £125 over four years for nurses, £80 for other medical staff.


How to Claim Tax Relief

Detailed Guide on What You Can and Cannot Claim:

  • What You Can Claim:

    • Cleaning, repairing, or replacing specialist clothing such as uniforms or safety boots.

    • The actual amount spent on these items, supported by receipts, or a predetermined fixed amount as specified by HMRC.

  • What You Cannot Claim:

    • Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), as this should be provided by your employer and is not eligible for tax relief.

    • General clothing that is not specific to your profession.

  • Specific Claims for Nurses and Midwives:

    • Aside from general uniform expenses, nurses and midwives can also claim for replacing essential items like shoes, socks, and underwear, which are considered part of their uniform.


Steps to claim your tax relief efficiently:

  1. Documentation Needed: Gather all relevant receipts and records of expenses.

  2. Online Claims: Use the HMRC online service here for a quick process.

  3. Postal Claims: For claims over £1000, or if preferred, use the P87 form available here.

  4. Telephone Claims: For total expenses under £1000, call the HMRC helpline at 0300 200 3300 or +44 135 535 9022 if outside the UK.


Important Notes:

  • The claim can typically be made for expenses incurred within the last four tax years.

  • Ensure to submit your claim before any deadlines to take advantage of potential refunds.

  • Be aware of how claiming these expenses might affect your taxable income or move you into a different tax bracket.


Don't Miss Out!

Ensure Timely Submissions:

  • Claims are generally permissible for expenses incurred within the last four tax years.

  • Check specific rules and deadlines to avoid missing out on potential refunds.

  • Understand the tax implications of your claims, including effects on taxable income and tax brackets.



What qualifies as 'specialist clothing' for tax purposes?

Specialist clothing is defined as uniforms or other attire required for your role that cannot be worn outside of work. This includes items like healthcare scrubs and safety boots.

How do I determine the fixed amount I can claim without receipts?

HMRC provides fixed rates (known as 'flat rates') for different professions. You can find these rates on the official HMRC website or directly through the online claiming portal.

Can I claim for past years if I haven't claimed before?

Yes, you are eligible to claim any unclaimed tax relief for up to four years past. This includes the current tax year and the previous three tax years.

What are the common mistakes to avoid while claiming tax relief?

Common mistakes include not keeping proper receipts, claiming for ineligible items like PPE, and missing submission deadlines. Ensure you follow the guidelines closely to maximise your claim.

Is there a limit to how much I can claim for laundry expenses?

Yes, there are fixed amounts set by HMRC that you can claim for the laundry of work-specific uniforms. These are detailed in the HMRC's flat rate expenses guide for different job types.


Explore our Healthcare Uniforms

Upgrade Your Professional Wardrobe:

Ready to claim your tax relief? Start here with our easy-to-follow online guide!

Please enter these characters in the following text field.

The fields marked with * are required.